Tuesday, April 15, 2008

This One's for the Books

Here's the short of the story:

Hilary, my fabulously talented sister, landed her first professional theater gig last spring. She's currently in the midst of the equity contract and from all the rave reviews I've heard, she's doing quite well. The latest script she received was something all together different than what she was willing to do or say on stage. Considering it somewhat of a Grand Gesture, a defining moment in her life, she objected and made a request not to perform portions of the current script to her director. This director happened to be insensed. (Insensed as in he was going to fire Hilary for the remaining period of her contract) After I caught wind of the scandal, I too was quite insensed. Of course I don't appreciate anyone treating my sister in a condescending manner, but I was especially disturbed by the blantat disregard for my sisters civil rights. I promptly told Hilary that she could not be fired because of her religious beliefs. And then I promptly penned a letter to said directors explaining Title VII of the Civil Rights Act. And voila: Hilary's not fired. Nor does she have to perform what she does not want to perform.

Call us a team. That's how we roll.

6 comments:

The Patterson Family said...

Love it!!

Elizabeth said...

Wow! Good job, sis!

t marie said...

Ashli you rock. Big sisters have to watch out for their little sisters!

Anonymous said...

I am a proud mom!!!
Fern

Cbell said...

Your dad stopped by our table last night at Brent's annual fundraiser and told us all about your stepping in and effectively arguing for your sister's civil rights. All I have to say is, you ROCK!!

Anonymous said...

Brilliant! Wish I had a sister like you!

 
Creative Commons License
This work by Ashli Sutton is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at ashlielizabeth.blogspot.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://ashlielizabeth.blogspot.com.