Sunday, December 9, 2007

Funny Story

As of this past Friday night, I had only had Indian food once in my entire life. During a snow storm in Lynchburg, my friend Colleen (she's the brave northerner from New Jersey) picked my snow-trapped self up and since we were already being adventurous (driving in snow), we thought we should continue the adventure with Indian food. (Colleen is my friend who I've even had Peruvian food with -- who else has had Peruvian food?).

Back to the funny story. So, Matt's last official day of school was this past Friday. Hence, he and some of his buddies from New College were celebrating together. Since I was on my own, I decided I should treat myself to something interesting and lovely for dinner-- then hole myself inside my warm and cozy flat for a good movie or two. After unsuccessfully trying to order soup at the local Chinese restaurant, I headed back to the flat for all the take-out menus our landlord had left behind for us. Being put-out with how expensive Pizza Hut and Dominos are here (I know I can get the same thing for half the price back home), I decided to order take-out from St. John's Curry Club. This Indian restaurant is only about half a block from my flat and has won several local culinary awards. How could I go wrong?

So after my perusal of the take-out menu, I called St. Johns and placed the order. After retrieving the food from St. John's, I devoured the yummy chicken curry dish, rice, and nan bread. I felt on top of the world about my discovery (and a bit stuffed). It was so good. I even had leftovers so Matt could try it later -- which happened to be Saturday morning for breakfast, or maybe brunch :) Matt loved the curry food as well! Absolutely loved it. And I most definitely helped him eat the leftovers. Mind you -- this would be two curry meals within 24 hours.

Later on, Matt and I headed out on the town for some Christmas shopping and enjoyment of Matt's recent liberation from studies. After a few stops, Matt decided it was time to eat. As I was looking around in that area of town, I noticed an Indian restaurant that had a superb little lunch deal. It looked like a super posh restaurant, so I suggested we eat there for lunch. Hence, three meals of curry in a row. (This little posh Indian restaurant was superb as well).

After an afternoon of shopping, Matt and I headed to a friend's flat for a dinner party. Other diners included a PhD student at New College, a fund manager from London, and a local GP. The company was fantastic. Conversation was lively and interesting. We even had a mini lecture on English political structure (they still have heridtary roles in the House of Lords- who knew?). But the best part -- (are you ready?) -- they served curry for dinner!

How did I manage to have four curry/Indian meals in a row after only having it once in my entire life???

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cheers to our ethnic food adventures and many more to come! Love, Colleen

 
Creative Commons License
This work by Ashli Sutton is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at ashlielizabeth.blogspot.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://ashlielizabeth.blogspot.com.