Thursday, December 20, 2007

Our Journey Home

We have arrived in Nashville safely! However, Matthew and I rarely do anything without extra adventure, and our trip home is no exception. We left our Edinburgh flat at 4:45 am (Greenwich time) ... which is probably when most of you were going to bed Sunday night... and finally arrived in Nashville Tuesday afternoon a bit after 2:30 pm.

After running to board our plane in Frankfurt (yes- we had to run because our first flight was delayed on the runway and the German security officials were painfully slow letting us through our second round of security), we found our seats only to sit on the plane for three hours and then have the flight cancelled. Then there was waiting in another line, and another line, and then another line ... just to find out we would be staying the night in the Frankfurt Sheraton and flying out in the morning.

I was so glad to arrive on American soul. Living abroad in Europe can be pretty fantastic, but all the little things that constitute America make me happy -- it's simply home. Because we were a day late, mom had patients to see but dad was there at the airport to welcome us with open arms and a $20 dollar bill! After only receiving two of our three pieces of luggage and getting all of that paperwork figured out, we were off and soon driving through Chick-fil-a for some chicken nuggets and a sweet tea!

Upon arriving at the house, my Gram and Stan greeted us which was a sweet surprise! Soon my mom was at home and we were sitting around the family table eating homemade lasagna -- one of my favorites. At that point, I couldn't have imagined being any happier! We celebrated my dad's birthday, ate cake, and he opened a few of his presents -- one of which was our wedding album! Yay!

Then, mom and Gram told me that Gram had a little gift for me. They said it was for graduation, passing the bar, Hannakuh, Christmas, and birthday -- and then I saw the blue bag -- the blue Tiffany's bag. (What a way to be welcomed home!) Gram and Stan gave me the most stunning strand of pearls I have ever seen! What a sweet, sweet little treasure to remember all the good and exciting events this year has brought. Thank you Gram and Stan!

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

I'm so glad you made it home safely!! Did you ever find the little sandwich shop I was telling you about? I want to hear ALL about your trip. Scotland is SOO great!

 
Creative Commons License
This work by Ashli Sutton is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at ashlielizabeth.blogspot.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://ashlielizabeth.blogspot.com.