Monday, March 3, 2008

Big, thick snowflakes are wafting across my window. I love the setting of my desk. It's set in the middle of this large bay window, and from it, I can see our little village and the Pentland Hills (mountains) in the distance. This morning once I situated myself to begin work, I noticed the Pentland Hills in the distance were covered in snow ... absolutely beautiful. And now, the snow has begun to move into the city. It seems like the snow may already be drifiting away. However, the Pentland Hills supply our drinking water -- so one thing is for sure about this snow: it will provide more of the yummiest drinking water I've ever had.

Living on an island you learn about the supply of goods, the demand for those goods, the rise in price for those goods etc. etc. It's an inadvertant lesson. One can simply notice that the price of a product is simply twice as much as the same product elsewhere. Which can be especially disheartening when you're trying to stretch an American dollar in the United Kingdom. However, something is just so cool about knowing where your drinking water comes from. And not only knowing where it comes from, but seeing where it comes from. How cool is that?

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

If you're trying to make the rest of us jealous, it's working! Glad you're having a great time. Hope to see you sometime soon.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ashli,
Just checking in with the blog. It sounds like a pretty scene. I guess it is nice to know the source of your cool, crisp water. And maybe Matt can find a nice trout stream flooded with melting snow. For colds, I've heard garlic works well -- but then it's one of the staves of life. {:^)

Get well, and say "hi" to Matt for me.

 
Creative Commons License
This work by Ashli Sutton is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at ashlielizabeth.blogspot.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://ashlielizabeth.blogspot.com.