Thursday, March 20, 2008

Who Would Have Thought?

My last semester at Union, I took 21 course hours. Crazy - right? I remember a post-it note I had stuck to the shelf above my desk. Each paper I had to research and draft that semester was listed, along with how many pages the draft must include. Yikes ... I think I had close to 200 pages to write that semester.

What's amusing is now I write for a living. I research a matter and then write about the matter, forming something similar to a research paper. And on top of all the research and writing, I teach a class on research and writing. Oh how life changes. How stressed I felt several years ago during my last semester of college. My posture towards research and writing amounted to getting the paper "over with." Now? I might not go so far to profess a love for writing ... but I do enjoy it. Especially with all the personal endowment of stress removed.

Isn't it interesting how humans have a much larger capacity for things that "stretch" them than originally anticipated? Sure life events condition humans for growth, but is it not true that we seem to be able to handle much more than we believe we can handle? All it takes is a testing moment to experience the so-called stretch. The next thing you know, you'll go from a stressed co-ed to writing research papers for a living. Strange how life unfolds.

1 comment:

Heather said...

You said this so well. Very true. Happy Weekend .... :)

 
Creative Commons License
This work by Ashli Sutton is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at ashlielizabeth.blogspot.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://ashlielizabeth.blogspot.com.