Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Highlights from London

Trying to sleep the night before we left for London was a difficult task. We had an early morning flight ... but it was still just too difficult to sleep! However, early morning flights are a bit easier when the sunrise is at 4:37 am. Our flight was breezy, and we caught the train into town on the Gatwick Express, then the tube to our hotel. The Beauchamp Hotel was in the perfect location and was amazingly comfortable and still a bit posh. I was pleased :)

However, upon arrival, I could not stop looking out my window .... I was like a doggy awaiting the arrival of his master. Being reunited with family was sheer bliss. Sheer bliss. I just couldn't stop hugging them, talking and talking and talking .... and then laughing my head off with my mom about who the heck knows what. That Friday we lunched outdoors, visited the British Museum, and had a delicious Italian dinner at the Spaghetti House. Poor dad found a staple in his food (frightening!) but still wanted to return there on our trip because it was so yummy.

Saturday we took in all the sites .... we walked through Covent Gardens, SoHo, through the theater district, through Trafalgar Square, onto Big Ben, Westminster, and Buckinhgam Palace. It was a full day! That evening we dined at Belgo Centraal and saw Les Mis -- which is my mom's personal all-time favorite musical. We had fantastic seats, and the Queen's Theater is a lovely, intimate theater. The theater district was super fun to partake in on a Saturday evening.

Sunday morning we made a visit to the famous Camden Market. After making a few purchases, we ate all kinds of yummy international food .... Asian, Indian, and French. Yum! Next we headed to Notting Hill and made a visit to the Portobello Market. Unfortunately, we arrived a bit too late in the day ... but we did enjoy strawberry crepes and coffee. For dinner we ate at a delish Moroccan restaurant in SoHo. It was a fun experience.

Monday we took in the sites of the famous London Bridge (which is actually called the Tower Bridge), St. Paul's Church, and the London Tower (which is not a tower). I cannot fail to mention that we also made a stop at Harrod's Monday morning. This well-known department store was honestly a bit disappointing ... especially after visits to similarly celebrated stores in Paris and New York. However, their bridal gown department is a Pronovias boutique, which holds a special place in my heart. That was fun to see!

Next thing I knew, we were off on a train headed to the airport for a short jaunt north to Edinburgh ....

2 comments:

Heather said...

Harrod's is one of my all time favorite memories of our time in London ... not really the shopping, it was the high tea experience ;)

xoxoxo

Cbell said...

Aww... this brought so many memories to mind for me! Thanks for taking me back to London. I have a question - did you climb onto the back of the Lions in Trafalgar Square?! I did that when I was 16 and had my picture made!! I spent a week in London when I was a junior in High School and I had the best time! Enjoy!!

 
Creative Commons License
This work by Ashli Sutton is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at ashlielizabeth.blogspot.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://ashlielizabeth.blogspot.com.