Thursday, May 8, 2008

Mean What You Say, Say What You Mean

There's so many colloquialism and phrases people often employ, yet the expression has very little meaning. For example, the phrase "Needless to say....". If what follows "Needless to say" was actually needless, why say it? I personally would like to espouse the phrase, "mean what you say, say what you mean." I haven't arrived, nor might I ever, but I do like the concept of truly meaning each word I speak or write. I appreciate when speech and the written word is not filled with fluff or bounces around what is really meant or intended. Which is why I like this website: M-W. I use it at least six times daily. Which just might be a bit bizarre (bi·zarre or \be-'zär\ or if you're etymologically inclined, you could use bizzarro from the Italian tongue).
P.S. - Does anyone else think it's strange that the Word of the Day today is "scavenger"? Shouldn't it be something more obscure like "daffynitions" or "quixotic"?

2 comments:

Cbell said...

I love that you and I both get the word of the day. I thought I was the only one who subscribed to it.

t marie said...

I like that site as well. I was on it earlier today! Too funny.

fun·ny \ˈfə-nē\ 1 a: affording light mirth and laughter

 
Creative Commons License
This work by Ashli Sutton is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at ashlielizabeth.blogspot.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://ashlielizabeth.blogspot.com.