Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Calling Out an SOS

Oh the cultural differences! They do exist. Even after living here 2 1/2 years, I'm still amused by some of the differences.

Just this morning I awoke with a slight medical problem and called my doctor. After explaining my ailment to the receptionist, she calmly said she could work me in to emergency surgery at 10 til 5. EMERGENCY. SURGERY. What are they going to do? Removing the ailment surgically would entail removing my face.

What's even more humorous is that what Americans refer to as the "surgery room," Brits call "theater" or maybe "theatre." I mean, I know it can be a traumatic experience and possibly entail some drama -- but theater????

2 comments:

Derek Brown said...

We were just in the "waiting room" at the doctor yesterday and I was thinking the same thing! What really made me laugh was the sign that read, "Please turn off your phone in surgery."

Ashli said...

Derek - That is too funny!

 
Creative Commons License
This work by Ashli Sutton is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at ashlielizabeth.blogspot.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://ashlielizabeth.blogspot.com.