Thursday, February 28, 2008

Tickled Pink

At a lovely dinner party last night, I taught our eloquently proper English hosts(Oxford and Cambridge grads ... which they call Oxbridge) a new phrase: "shoot the breeze." They gave me a completely blank stare when I originally used the phrase. So, Matt decides to explain the meaning of the phrase saying it's much like "chew the fat." Another blank stare.

Matt's heard that the United Kingdom and the United States are two countries united by a different language. I can't agree more. After explaining ridiculous American vernacular (probably quite Southern), everyone was quite tickled. Maybe I'll instruct our English friends in the meaning of "tickled pink" at our next dining experience.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

That is so funny! It really is amazing how differently "English" can be used. Have you noticed that the Scottish don't use the phrases "caddy-corner" or "bobby pins?" Those are two that I remember. And I think you've mentioned this before, but I still LOVE the phrase "Mind Your Step." If you ever come across a sign like that for your doorway, I'll pay you for it! :) So glad you're having fun!

Heather said...

Love it -

HL

MAL said...

I think you should teach them woo pig sooie....

 
Creative Commons License
This work by Ashli Sutton is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at ashlielizabeth.blogspot.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://ashlielizabeth.blogspot.com.