Monday, February 18, 2008

Visiting Stirling


Waverly Train Station in Edinburgh









Matt and I had the most enjoyable day in Stirling, Scotland. Catching the train in Edinburgh afforded us the opportunity to soak in the sights of the Scottish countryside along the way to Stirling. We passed through small villages such as Linlithgow and Failkirk, enjoying all the many castles along the way.

Upon arrival, we pulled out our faithful 'Best of Scotland' guidebook and followed the official "walk." And it was amazing! The walls surrounding Stirling are the oldest standing defense walls in all of Scotland, and they hold true gems within them: the Church of the Holyrude (Where King James I was crowned), the Stirling Castle, and the Argyle Lodge.

After touring the castle, Matt and I descended upon the city and found some great Scottish fare to satisfy our appetites. Matt had homemeade Scottish Pie ... and I think I ate more of his dish than any of my Macaroni and Leeks! We then caught a bus to the other side of Stirling and caught the sites of both the William Wallace monument (dates back to 13th Century) and the University of Stirling. Before heading back to Edinburgh, we had to enjoy a proper tea at one of the local establishments. This particular restaurant prides itself on making cakes and scones from scratch... and it was yummy!

Matt and I are now highly inspired to explore all the many day excursions from Edinburgh. I'm crossing my fingers for good weather and many travels this spring!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I almost feel like I was there too!

Elizabeth said...

So beautiful! Zach and I need to come visit.

 
Creative Commons License
This work by Ashli Sutton is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at ashlielizabeth.blogspot.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://ashlielizabeth.blogspot.com.