Wednesday, September 24, 2008




One year ago today, I boarded a plane in Nashville. I had three suitcases -- the smallest of which had a queen-size down duvet and two pillows shrunk wrapped. I was wearing a heavy, winter coat and my pockets were stuffed with pillowcases. I remember trying to eat that last meal with mom and dad at the airport before we said our goodbyes. Torture. I cried saying goodbye -- but honestly -- how could I not? I'm pretty sure I now cry everytime I'm entering 'departures' at the Nashville airport -- whether it be dropping my husband off or saying goodbye to my parents -- I have no shame in public tears at the airport. None.
****
As I consider this past year, I can't help but be grateful for all the blessings but also for the grace to face the hardships. It's been said that personal growth occurs by the "places you go, the people you meet, the books you read, and the hardships you endure." If so, this year -- smack-dab in my mid-twenties -- should have been a year of growth. Three words: time will tell. Until then, I'll continue enjoying my adventure.

2 comments:

Hilary said...

beautiful.

Sarah said...

Treasure this time Ash. It's something I'm sure a lot of people wish they could do. I know I do. Love you.

 
Creative Commons License
This work by Ashli Sutton is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at ashlielizabeth.blogspot.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://ashlielizabeth.blogspot.com.