Sunday, June 1, 2008

Weekend Review and Current Musings

Friday evening Matt and I enjoyed the Michelin starred culinary skills of some of Edinburgh's local chefs -- and it was delish! We also rubbed shoulders with a few locals that we don't seem to run into on the bus. Ha! With entry at $25 a ticket and samples beginning at $12 a pop, it's no wonder most of these folks aren't taking public transportation. It was enjoyable seeing another side of Edinburgh and also quite enjoyable sampling gourmet fare.


Yesterday we ventured to the village of Balerno and attempted to hike the Pentland Hills. These Hills are large! We ended up taking a 6 mile walk and barely brushed the beginning of some of the trails. To my surprise (and chagrin), I also got a bit of sun .... the first time since moving to Scotland. The shock! Matt was quite pleased to discover all the Pentland trails ... I'm a bit put off with these hikes becaue the trail heads start a good 30-45 minutes away from where the bus drops you. I'm just not a fan of walking 30-45 minutes up a desolate, paved street to begin a hike.


I'm also making slow, slow process through Crime and Punishment. It is pathetic how long it is taking me to get through this book - as I started it at the beginning of April. Today marks June 1. Wow. It's a classic and even though I'm towards the end of the book, I'm still waiting for the hope. I'm hoping for the hope found in Crime and Punishment. But honestly, it's a bit depressing and I've started avoiding reading it. So instead of making progress in Crime, I'm researching all the other books I plan on reading soon. I've decided I'm going to order a load of interesting, fun reads and have them shipped to my parents home in the US. Something to look forward to .... If you have any suggestions, leave a comment or email me. I want to read the kind of book that once I begin reading, I have to finish within 24 hours.


Also of noteworthy mention is that our church moved to a new location: The Dominion Theater. Quite untraditional and almost an hour journey, it seems like it might still work. We will see. We really do enjoy the people there. And the people are what really matter -- a community of people with character is huge.


Well, I'm off ...... hope you have a lovely start to your week!

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work by Ashli Sutton is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at ashlielizabeth.blogspot.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://ashlielizabeth.blogspot.com.